If you are missing a tooth, or need a tooth replaced, dental implants may be the solution you’re looking for. Dental implants are an excellent option for those wanting to complete their smile. But are you a good candidate?
The right candidate
Generally the best candidate for dental implants should have healthy gums and enough bone in the jaw to anchor the implant. If you have lost bone, you can still get a dental implant but you may need a special procedure to restore the bone that is missing. You are also an excellent candidate if you are committed to daily oral care and cleaning the implant area. Regular professional dental cleanings are integral to maintaining a healthy smile and a healthy implant.
You may not be the best candidate for a dental implant if:
- You are pregnant.
- You are too young and your jaw has not stopped growing yet.
- You are a heavy smoker, which makes healing in the mouth difficult.
- You abuse alcohol or other substances that are harmful to the body. This may make you unprepared to follow proper implant care instructions after your procedure and less likely to practice proper oral hygiene.
- You have been given a high dose or radiation treatment in the head or neck area.
- You have a systematic problem or chronic disease like hemophilia, connective tissue issues, uncontrolled diabetes, or immune deficiency problems.
- You take certain medications like steroid drugs
- You have significant issues with clenching or grinding your teeth. Such habits can put undue pressure on the implant area and make the risk of failure high.
A few months after the dental implant is placed by a trained specialist or periodontist, a crown will be added. This time period between the two procedures allows for the implant area to heal. Depending on your individual situation and needs, your treatment plan may be different.
Arrange a consultation
To find out more about how dental implants can improve your smile, call Broadway Family Dentistry today. You can reach our team by calling 701-839-1299.