A beautiful smile is the goal of most of our patients. When patients have a smile that is healthy and looks great, it can give them the self-confidence they need to interview for their dream job or approach that significant other once and for all! At Broadway Family Dentistry, Drs. Stanley Hirst and Bethany Jensen of Minot, ND provide recommendations for keeping the smile healthy and beautiful between dental recall visits:
- Brush your teeth. Brushing the teeth after every meal with a fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush is one of the best ways to keep the teeth healthy and avoid the development of periodontal disease and tooth decay.
- Flossing. Drs. Stanley Hirst and Bethany Jensen recommend flossing at least once a day. This removes food particles from between the teeth that can break down into acids and sugars the contribute to cavities.
- Visit the dentist every six months. Recall appointment and routine evaluations are essential to monitoring a patient’s oral health and wellness. Conditions such as periodontal disease and cavities can be spotted early on for successful intervention.
- Drink water. Fluoridated water is a much better choice for the smile than drinking sodas, teas, and coffees, which not only can be unhealthy for you, but can stain the natural tooth enamel. Fluoridated water helps strengthen natural tooth enamel while washing away food particles and bacteria between meals.
- Stop smoking or chewing tobacco. Cigarettes and chewing tobacco can lead to serious staining on the teeth, while also significantly increasing your risk for conditions such as oral cancer.
- Watch what you eat. Foods that are high in sugars, carbs, and acids can be detrimental to the smile. If you consume candy, soda, or highly-acidic fruits such as grapefruits or lemons, make sure to brush and floss the teeth immediately after.
Request a visit with Broadway Family Dentistry today!
If you reside in the area of Minot, ND and want to speak to a professional about the health of your smile, connect with Drs. Stanley Hirst and Bethany Jensen of Broadway Family Dentistry today! Call (701) 839-1299 to schedule an appointment at 1839 South Broadway Street and educate yourself further on the ways to a healthier smile!